Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Joy of Volunteering

I've blogged, previously, about being a foster home for a dog rescue. I love every minute of it. It's one of the best decicions that I've made. 

I'be also taking on a more involved role as the volunteer coordinator for the rescue. This position originally started out as me covering for our VC while she was on vacation. And when she stepped out of the role, I continued on in it. It is very time comsuming and draining. But I enjoy what I am doing as VC. It's fulfilling and at times stressful. And I love seeing the events that we plan and host as a rescue come to a successful completion. 

This weekend I had the chance to be on the "front line" so to speak. Several volunteers cancelled at the last moment and so I took over being present at one event. I trimmed nails, spoke about the rescue, and just generally had a great time connecting about doing a little bit of goodness in the world around me. It also helped that I had a great partner in my foster dog, Nigel. 

I know that I've complained about having to coordinate volunteers a couple of times, but today brought back why I do what I do and why I love it so much. 

So thanks to all the people that came out and renewed my love of volunteering. Thanks for being interested in Sit With Me, thanks for asking questions and donating money. Thanks for sharing the stories of your loved dogs, and laughing at Nigel as he wiggled his bum at meeting new people.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment