Pages

Monday, June 23, 2014

Letter to my grandmother

Dear Nan;

It's coming on summer. You know- those hot, sunny days you always said were perfect for picking berries. I think I'm going to miss picking berries with you.

I watch the sunsets. Every time I see the blue that matches your eyes, I know you are watching. I miss you.

I miss how papery your hands were. They never seemed fragile though. I watched you hull hundreds of pounds of berries, and peel thousands of potatoes. I never thought I'd miss that.

I miss going to the trailer with you. Stocking up on the necessities; which always seem to include bacon and chocolate bars. Remember how you'd get us all tucked in, and then pass out the chocolate? I miss those mornings when you'd get up to start the bacon, but let us stay in the bed all cozy.

I miss watching you make tea. I miss making you tea. Did I ever learn to make it properly? Probably not, but I don't remember you seeming to care.

I remember the day I told you I was moving away. You got a sad look in your eye, but you smiled for me anyway. I'm sorry I didn't come home as often as I could have.

I miss Scrabble games, and orange pop and salt and vinegar chips and holding hands and laughing and going for walks back the lane with you. I miss listening to the clacking of your knitting needles. I miss knitting with you. I miss reading with you. I miss everything.

I miss you.

I miss you a lot.

I love you. I always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment